Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bruschetta, My Way

OK, so I'll admit, I'm not really a fresh tomato kinda gal - sorry to all my family that just loves eating a good tomato like it's an apple!

ANYWAY, there is a way that I just LOVE tomatoes!
Roasted Tomatoes:
Enough sliced tomatoes to cover a large jelly roll pan.
(use whatever tomatoes you like)
3-4 garlic cloves
enough EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) to cover the pan and a little to drizzle on top of tomatoes
coarse/kosher salt and pepper sprinkled over the top

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 2-3 hours. Flip some time in the middle. They are done when they are carmelized around the edges of the pan. But you can do it as long as you like till you get your desired crispness or lack of crispness. At this point I eat some of the yummy bits on the edges of the pan and then scrape as much of it as you can and store it in the fridge for sandwiches (really good!) or pasta, or my bruschetta recipe.

OK, the bruschetta recipe:
baguette, sliced and toasted on both sides
pesto (I use America's Test Kitchen recipe)
roasted tomato mixture, chopped
fresh mozzarella, cubed
basil, roll leaves together, lengthwise and chop into thin strips

Stir up tomatoes, mozzarella and basil (can add a little EVOO if dry)

Spread pesto on baguette toasts, then mound on tomato mixture

And you've got yourself a tasty appetizer (or dinner if you feel like eating it mostly yourself!)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment